Sunday 9 February 2014

Christian Charity



At the end of mass this morning, Fr Collins told us a story about a priest in Cork. I think that Fr Collins is from Kerry, so there would be no love lost.

The priest answered a knock at the presbytery door, and found a travelling man standing there.

"Ah, there y'are Father!" he said. "I was wonderin' if ya could spare me the price of a ..."

He got no further.

"No. I'm afraid I've no money here at all," the priest said. "You see when I was a student, my brother up in Tipperary paid for all my fees and lodgings. So any money I have now, I send up to him."

The traveller was disappointed, but not defeated.

"Well, maybe a coat then Father? The oul coat I have is very bad, and maybe you'd have ..."

"No, I can't help you there either," said the priest. "I did have a fine warm coat, but with the brother up in Tipperary out on the farm in all weathers, I thought that he'd get better use out of it, so I sent it up to him."

The traveller nodded his understanding.

"Well, maybe a pair of boots then? The ones I have on me are full of holes and ..."

"I'm afraid you're out of luck there as well," said the priest. "I did have a good pair, but again I thought that they'd be great for the brother up in Tipperary, so I sent them up to him. So I'm sorry I can't be of any help to you. But before you go, let me give you a blessing."

"Ah, don't bother Father," said the traveller. "For if it was worth anything, you'd have sent it up to your bloody brother in Tipperary!"

The hilarious comedy novel 'It's a Desperate Life' is now available as a paperback or an e-book from Amazon and all good booksellers, and through http://peterhammondauthor.com


No comments:

Post a Comment