Thursday 15 May 2014

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?


I remember the first morning I woke up as a married man, lying beside Peggy in our little home in the Daymo. It was summertime and still quite early. Through the open window I could hear the little birds chirping away like lunatics in the tree outside. A velvety breeze ruffled the curtains, allowing the sun's rays to peek in. By its light I could see Peggy’s face on the pillow, peaceful and still sleeping. I planted a little kiss on her cheek, slipped out of bed and went downstairs.

I crept out and went around to Gorman's shop for the Independent. Then, keeping as quiet as a mouse in its stocking feet, I cooked up a breakfast of sausages, rashers, black and white pudding, fried egg and tomatoes. I put this on a big tray alongside a plate of hot buttered toast. There was also a pot of tea, orange juice and the newspaper. To add a small flourish, I got a handful of daisies from the garden and put them into a little china vase, which also went on the tray.

I carried the whole lot back up to the bedroom and gently eased the door open. Peggy was still fast asleep.

‘Wakey, wakey,’ I said softly. ‘It’s breakfast time, Mrs Flynn!’

Her eyes fluttered open, and she gave a cute little stretch and a yawn. She looked at me and smiled as she sat herself up. I put the tray across her lap, and she stroked my hand.

‘Oh Frank,’ she said. ‘This is lovely. It really is.’

‘Yeah, I know,’ I said. ‘An’ tha’s the way I want it every day for the rest o’ me life.’


The hilarious new comedy novel 'It's a Desperate Life' is now available as a paperback or e-book from Amazon and all other good book sellers, and through http://peterhammondauthor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment